Code of conduct
Please respect other users and follow the code of conduct for shared-use tracks:
- Check the weather forecast before your trip
- Wear strong lace-up footwear and carry warm and waterproof clothing and enough food and drink for your trip
- Carry sun protection
- Plan your route and tell someone your intentions
- Respect that other users have different, and valid, reasons for being there.
- Anticipate other users around corners or in blind spots.
- Expect the unexpected; cycle at a speed from which you can stop safely if a hazard arises.
- Do not startle other users – greet them when approaching, especially from behind.
- Be aware of and obey the New Zealand Road Code when riding on-road sections.
- Common sense and courtesy prevail at all times.
Don't forget to take a torch for the tunnels
Specific safety notes
- Go well prepared as beyond the first section there are no shops along the trail.
- Take a torch for the tunnels
- Remote areas with little or no cell phone coverage between Tunnel Gully and Cross Creek and around the South Coast.
- Traffic sense needed on the road from Cross Creek to Ocean Beach.
- Potential for cold and wet weather during southerlies when on the South Coast section.
- Light fires only in the fireplaces in the designated camping sites. In times of high risk, there is a total ban on all fires. You are welcome to bring your portable gas stove.
- Please take your rubbish home and recycle where possible.